Name:
Location: Fredericksburg, Texas, United States

Monday, February 26, 2007

Inconvenient

(the butler) "Did you just find God, sir?"
(William) "No, I think he found me (a dramatic pause) ...do you know how inconvenient that is?"

Watching Amazing Grace this weekend with several other seminary students was fun. When this line was shared early in the movie we all laughed with a "yeah, we do" kind of laugh. Most of the stories I've heard from people here begin with how God coaxed, cajoled, coerced, and other wise connived to get us to seminary. This was not in the plan for most of us. Yet here the Lord of Everything has seen fit to interrupt whatever plans we might have had. For me that involved moving halfway across the country, leaving everything that was home for me, especially my church, not to mention the student loans for tuition. Now my whole life is centered around God's will. Inconvenient barely covers it.

Yet I think about it and I marvel at the truly amazing Grace that would call me to ministry. At the Grace that saw my own plans for my life and said "I've got something better for you, if you want it." When I realize that I am humbled and honored at the same time. I think John Newton (the author of Amazing Grace) said it most eloquently, "I remember that I am a great sinner and that Christ is a great savior." I would wish to make one slight modification, "I remember that I am a great sinner and that Christ is a greater Savior."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home