Name:
Location: Fredericksburg, Texas, United States

Thursday, February 08, 2007

"As We Forgive"

"And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors."

~ Matthew 6:12 (NRSV)

I figure it's about time to put some of this seminary learning to actual use.
Disclaimer * Keep in mind that I've only been in IBS Matthew and Concise Greek for 2 class periods, so take things with a grain or two of salt. *

How many of us have prayed "The Lord's Prayer"? How many of us have actually taught on it? I know I have taught it at least twice. Both times (not to mention every time I've read it or prayed it) I've managed to miss this subtly. The second statement in this verse is in the past tense (in both the NRSV and the original Greek). Read it carefully, "as we also have forgiven." Yup it's something that has already been done by the petitioner (that'd be the person praying it). I'm not sure if that revelation unsettles anyone else, but it sure does bother me. Maybe because I realize that there are people that I haven't forgiven yet, people I know I should have forgiven long ago. Or people I say I've forgiven when in my heart I haven't. It's scary because when I pray this prayer I'm asking God to forgive me the same way I already have forgiven people, which translates into half-heartedly at best. *gulp*

This idea of forgiveness is so important that as soon as Jesus ends his prayer he launches into an elaboration of the concept. He makes sure to carefully spell out what he expects from his disciples. This is one of the few conditional demands Jesus places on his followers, "God will forgive you, if you forgive others". I'm not sure how that jives with the theology that has been preached to me all my life. Most of it runs more along the lines of Luke 7 (the sinful woman who anoints Jesus) which is the idea that we can only forgive people after we've been forgiven.

I think the harmony of these two ideas lies in realizing the state of the person involved. The sinful woman can't forgive others until she comes to God to receive his forgiveness for herself, whereas the prayerer in Matthew 6 addresses God as Father. Clearly the use of such an intimate term indicates that the child of God has already received the initial salvation of forgiveness. As such it is part of the responsibility, truly the privilege, to extend that same forgiveness to others. To withhold our forgiveness from others doesn't mirror Christ, nor does it follow the lines from earlier in the prayer which talk about doing God's will.

I fear that the Church as a whole, and believers as individuals are sorely lacking in the ability to forgive, to ask for forgiveness, and also to accept forgiveness when it's extended. It's a flaw that is continuing to cripple the Church. The churches that still use the liturgy of a "high church" (think Anglican, Episcopals, Lutherans) get the words right at least. At every service there is a time of corporate confession and forgiveness, the celebrant offers forgiveness to the congregation on behalf of Christ, and then in an amazing act of leveling the field of believers, the congregation turns around and forgives the celebrant with the same grace of Christ. Accepting that forgiveness is a whole other issue, because it means we have to come clean with ourselves before our Savior and admit that we need forgiveness because we aren't perfect. I'm still learning how to do this gracefully, and I'm learning how to offer forgiveness (true forgiveness, not just a stubborn child muttering "I'm sorry." and "It's ok"). It's a process. But one that needs to be done. In closing I would like to leave you with some pretty powerful words, and I hope you let them sink deep into your soul.

"In the Name of Jesus Christ, you are forgiven."

1 Comments:

Blogger Truth Seeker said...

2 things. 1) Brings to mind hte argument of forgiveness' origin. Emotion or act of my will.

2) What a powerful, bonechilling, awe-inspiring, overwhelming statement to end with. I don't know how to respond.

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home