Name:
Location: Fredericksburg, Texas, United States

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

When God falls silent

There are times in the Christian journey that God falls silent. It seems they happen more frequently the deeper faith becomes. Sometimes they are fleeting, the whole experience may only last for a day or two. It is barely recognizable that God has stopped speaking, his hand of favor may still rest upon a person. At other times it stretches on. For me, my first real experience with God's silence came in college. My faith was already being tested on so many levels and to have God withdraw from me nearly destroyed me. The silence lasted almost two whole years. It was made harder by the fact that even those I looked to for guidance were at a loss to explain what was happening, or why.

Eventually I was able to hear God again, but it was rarely as loud or as clear as it had been in the early years of my faith. For the 1st year at Seminary there were little "God whispers" almost weekly, subtle encouragements that I was still walking in God's will, I was where I was supposed to be.

My time in the desert, instead of increasing my trust, has severely undermined it. Now I'm terrified every time I think God has stopped talking to me. I don't want another 2 years of desperate imploring to fall on "deaf" ears.

What has stirred this all up, especially after I'd made peace about that growing experience ( I do appreciate it, I just don't want to have to repeat it)? God has stopped talking again. It's been....I honestly don't know, at least several months....the last time I heard from him directly. Sure there are echos of his voice through his Word, and his people around me, but it's not him.

Then the "other" voices begin to whisper,"Why bother serving a God who doesn't even love you enough to talk to you?" Which I recognize as a lie, I serve God because he died for me. The point is right now everything I'm doing is out of blind obedience. I don't know what I would be doing if it wasn't this. Sheer will power isn't enough to motivate for long, maybe a couple months at most. I'm exhausted, deep down weary in my soul. I'm pretending to those who know me best because I couldn't handle if they saw me fall apart (yes I recognize my struggle with pride). I'm also afraid that if I fall apart I won't be able to be put back together (which terrifies me). I'm going through all the motions in life and it's empty. There is no reason for me to learn Hebrew, to do Exegesis, because really "what does it matter to God". Then I wonder why should I bother talking to God if he isn't going to talk back to me, why be faithful to my devotional times every morning and every evening (I admit that I've grown lax the last couple weeks).

Then I feel guilty because didn't God do enough for me already???? I look at Calvary and think, what right have I to ask for anything more. What if it's not enough, what if I really do need God to speak, what kind of "loving" God would deny so pure a request? Isn't that what he says he wants from us?

What really makes me ill is that when others come to me with the same questions I can blithely give them reassurances of God's love and faithfulness. I feel like the scene from Lord of the Rings: the Return of the King when Lord Elrond gives the newly forged sword to Aragorn and he says "I give hope to men." Aragorn replies "I keep none for myself." I know (intellectually) faith is not without hope. Right now it just seems like it and I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out, how many more battles I can fight before I fall, mortally wounded.

3 Comments:

Blogger Clay said...

Wow. That's tough stuff. I'm sorry you're going through a tough time.

I think you're being honest about what a lot of people experience. The problem, as I see it, is that most people either don't know what they're missing or they just settle for less.

I hope you believe that God is bigger than your ability to endure. His Spirit will sustain you when you have had more than you can take. He will be faithful.

I don't really know you. I have always appreciated what you wrote, but I don't really know you. So, do I really have a right to comment at all? I hope I do as a brother and as a fellow traveller.

Ever read Dark Night of the Soul? I know you don't have time for much outside reading while in seminary, but this experience is exactly what the book's about. God withdraws all externals for a time so that you will serve Him out of pure obedience--with no strings attached. No perks. No encouragement. Tough stuff.

Why does He do this? I don't know. Does it weaken our faith? In a way, I agree that it does. But in a way, I know it deepens it like nothing else could.

I'm married. I had all sorts of grand ideas about what marriage would be like. All of them have been shattered. I have been hurt in marriage like never before in my life. I don't love a fairy tale wife. I love my wife in the face of everything we've been through. And in a way, I think I love her more because we've been through it together.

Maybe that's what God is doing. Why did He call Abraham to sacrifice Isaac? Is He cruel? I think it comes down to trust. He is the Soul Maker. He is a Master Craftsman, and He knows what He's doing.

Don't despair. You'll hear the Voice again. You'll walk in intimacy.

Maybe you'll get back to the place where you'll never have to struggle with God's silence (or seeming distance/absence) again. I haven't. But I love Him tremendously, and I want that intimacy. I will seek Him with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. "One thing I have asked of the Lord. This is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life--to behold the beauty of the Lord and to seek Him in His temple." "My soul waits for the LORD more than those who watch for the morning, more than those who watch for the morning. I will wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in His Word do I hope."

Not trying to preach. Only to encourage.

May He speak clearly & directly to you. If He doesn't do so soon, may the fire of hope burn on anyway.

God bless you, dear sister.

-Clay

9:29 PM  
Blogger the Baptist said...

I want to thank you for your honesty. As I read this post, my heart broke for you. You minister to your peers (me included), but you are a wounded soldier. Your strength as well as your brokenness has meant so much to me. I will continue to pray for you my dear sister and friend. Don't give up hope. I know you will come out of this, and you will soar.

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clay says encouragement more eloquently than I could. I'm glad for you that you are able to be honest here on your blog. I can't do much else than hold your hand, and sadly I can't even do that, being however many hundred miles away.

You know me and quotes... this one came to mind, from "The Painted Veil." The Mother Superior says:
"I fell in love when I was 17… with God. A foolish girl with romantic notions about the life of a religious, but my love was passionate. Over the years my feelings have changed. He’s disappointed me. Ignored me. We’ve settled into a life of peaceful indifference. The old husband and wife who sit side by side on the sofa, but rarely speak. He knows I’ll never leave Him. This is my duty. But when love and duty are one, then grace is within you."

It doesn't quite apply, but it does. I'm sending you an email that will apply better.

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home