Name:
Location: Fredericksburg, Texas, United States

Thursday, April 12, 2007

two passions, one story


God has given me two great passions. This week both fires have been kindled to a fierce intensity. Conversation after conversation, and random passings have continued to stoke the fire. What I'm realizing is that they are in essence the same story, the story of a beloved in bondage and abuse. The only difference is the scale.

I ache for the church universal. I ache when I remember how much she has been abused, and how much of that has been self-inflicted. I ache that Jesus' prayer in the garden (John 17) is as yet a prophecy unfulfilled. I don't believe that Jesus prays prayers that are impossible, so it is a promise that the church will eventually be reconciled to her God and to herself, but how long O Lord must we wait for that precious reality? How long will we continue to run from you? How long will we fight among ourselves, those you have commanded us to love? I talk to some who say this will never happen, and then I talk to others and see glimmers that it is a process already begun and I wonder which is more true. And all my soul cries and prays that it is the latter. Give us your love Abba. Let is burst forth from those who claim to be your children, overwhelming our sisters and our brothers, drowning the world with your love. Daddy, I love your church, but her suffering breaks my heart, because I don't even know where to begin her healing. I don't know which Truth she needs to hear the most, yet I fear to keep silent, your prophets have remained silent for too long. I fear that it will take another Exile before we again become "your people". If that is what it takes I pray that you would not delay it, but if there is still hope, stay your anger and call us again to confession and repentance, let us respond with contrite hearts and humble obedience. Be our God, oh Adoni, make us your children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home