Name:
Location: Fredericksburg, Texas, United States

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Oppression

Oppression has to be one of the most subtle demons to recognize. It starts as just a general feeling of being overwhelmed, most likely a feeling based well in reality. It's midterms and you have 3 papers due the same week. It's only natural to feel overwhelmed. But to stay overwhelmed even after the papers are turned it, that is something far more sinister. To look at life and just want to cry because you don't see how it can all get done. To wonder how and why you did this to yourself.


I find it an intriguing, albeit disturbing reality, that seminary seems to be such a fertile breeding ground for oppression. Most colleges are prime targets for lust and drinking problems, but especially at Asbury we head them off at the pass. It's a little thing called the ethos statement (though I admit it's not a foolproof barrier to these issues). But I never signed anything saying I refuse to allow myself to be oppressed. In fact it seems a state of existence that most seminarians have resigned themselves to. It's just a fact of life. Those who recognize it for what it is have often been under it's shadow too long to have any strength to challenge it.

Luckily oppression is one of the easier demons to deal with. As soon as it is recognized for what it is it loses much of it's power. It's strength comes from being undetected. Oppression is one of those things that Jesus explicitly stated that he had come to free us from (Luke 4:18) "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me because he has anointed me to....let the oppressed go free."

I guess I'm wondering now, why I (and so many others) still remain trapped under this weight. I don't have a good answer.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ryan Miller said...

hey danielle
you got some good stuff here. send your email again so i can give you a "critique" on ordination, etc.
shalom
ryan

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home