Name:
Location: Fredericksburg, Texas, United States

Monday, September 01, 2008

Full Circle

Two years ago I packed up most of my belongings from my home in San Antonio and drove to Wilmore, Kentucky - a city so small it wasn't on the map I had with me. I unloaded my car into a room I shared with a complete stranger and the next day began New Student Orientation (Disorientation). I knew no one up here, I didn't even know where the Walmart or the nearest fast food place was (15 minutes away in another city). After two days of non-stop informational sessions and meeting all the other new students I hit my overload threshold. On one of our 15 minute breaks, while most students ran to the bookstore, I ran to Estes chapel. It was the only safe place I knew on campus, my room wasn't a sanctuary yet. I figured if I was praying at the altar people would probably leave me alone. Thank God they did. I prayed to God out of desperation, I was ready to pack everything up and move back home. Yet I knew He had called me here, at this time. So I stayed.

Fast-forward two years to the day later. I'm half-way done with my M.Div. I'm a certified candidate for Elder in the UMC. I'm on the team that designs our chapel services. I'm well established on this campus. This Thursday was New Student Orientation and as part of my responsibilities I was asked to read the Scripture for Dr. Kalas. We place those leading worship on the platform where the pulpit/lectern is. I asked JD (dean of chapel) which chair he wanted me in. Halfway through the service I realized the blessed irony of where I was. I was at the exact same spot that I was two years ago. But this time instead of in panicked prayer at the altar I was sitting comfortably on the platform, preparing to read the Word of God to our new students.

I almost laughed at God's faithfulness. Two years ago I never would have believed I would be doing that. Yet God knew what He was doing. He's the one who called me into the ministry, to Asbury to be prepared for that ministry, and now I'm participating in ministry. He held me steady when I was ready to run back to the safety of "home" (it helps when you've burned every bridge behind you) and He's walked faithfully beside me the whole time I've been here. The final hymn we sang on Thursday was "Great is His Faithfulness" and it is so true. God is faithful to all who call upon His Name.

1 Comments:

Blogger Clay said...

I'm so happy for you.

Sounds like you've really turned a corner.

Run with it, girl!

Keep being faithful...

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home